Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I feel like a horrible person...

So I'm about to SERIOUSLY clean some stuff around the house, namely my room, but to do so I need a sweet playlist. I'm putting one together and am in a particularly Indie Music Mood so I'm just going through my genres. And I come upon an album I bought and never listened to.

I'll pause to let the collective gasp clear from the room.

I had every intention to, I'd been searching for it for a long time. The album is Saltbreakers by Laura Veirs. (So far it's great. I'm only on the second song as I write this.) I first came across the Ms. Veirs when I worked at a university radio station. It was a short lived thing. My show came on a 4am every Tuesday morning. I'm one of those sleepers that if they're too tired they'll never wake up so I just wouldn't sleep before my show so that I would able to make it. Well, there came a few occasions where I fell asleep sitting up and suffices to say I was let go. But the station had a huge library of good indie music and I found this album there. I played a track one night and really enjoyed it. The album kind of stuck with me in the back of my mind.

ALMOST A YEAR LATER, I ordered the CD off amazon. When the CD came in I promptly ripped it to my laptop and said to myself, "Oh I'll listen to this later, right now I'm gonna go play guitar" (Other excuses could have been, "I'm going to watch my cat sleep." "I'm going to see if I can draw an octopus with my left hand." "I'm going to pretend I'm interested in popular music at my sister.") Not soon after I switched from the Zune mp3 player to iPod and all my music converted over, but I lost most of the artwork. I'm actually still in the process of getting artwork back and finding out what all my unknown tracks are. Honestly if Biz Markie were to show up and tune up my music library about now that would be awesome. Aside from the part where I'm in my bathrobe, but maybe Mr. Markie is down with that. I bet he would be.

What I'm trying to say is that I feel like I've offended this album by putting it off for so long. It's been on my computer since September. And as I continue to listen to the tracks it's really fun. It has a similar to The Decemberists kind of feel. The lyrics are very literary like them, and Laura has a unique kind of voice. Thankfully she's not Joanna Newsom unique, but she's got enough quirk to it that I am satisfied.

To make it up to Ms. Veirs for having forgotten about her album I thought I would plug this album on my blog. Because it gets so much traffic. And it is so influential. Yep.

Saltbreakers by Laura Veirs. Get it!

[What makes me feel the worst about all of this is that it is NOT even a new album. It's from 2007. And apparently her album previous to that is even better. I hope she can forgive me!!]

No comments:

Post a Comment