Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Very Bob Dylan Christmas

So I had every intention of writing a blog post telling you all about how laughable Bob Dylan's Christmas album is. Which it really is. Specifically his rendition of Angels We Have Heard of High and Feliz Navidad truly make it worth the purchase, that is if you love to listen to songs of your youth destroyed and love losing respect for the voice of the 60's. 


But you can't find those tracks online! It's like someone erased them from existence and now I can't share how terrifyingly awful this CD really is. However, there is a silver lining. While looking up the aforementioned tracks I came across a song I didn't remember at all while listening to the CD. But this video is so worth it. It makes me feel completely differently about Bob Dylan's foray into holiday music.

Must Be Santa is one of those tracks that on it's own is just kind of fun but not much more than that. But the video completely changed it for me. Mainly because I want to be at that party! Think of how much fun that party would be. Especially with Bob Dylan running around half blazed/just being Bob Dylan. I love the way the shots are moving so quickly that we can't see if he's lip syncing correctly or not. Even though  it's a ploy to keep Mr. Dylan from looking completely ridiculous it's a good aesthetic.

Now I'll be honest. If a song has excessive use of steel guitar, accordion, or tuba I generally will fall in love by default. I won't be surprised if I'm the only person who feels so strongly about this song and music video. But I will stand by it and I will love it and enjoy it the rest of this holiday season. If I were making a Holiday Mix CD (which I totally should have and don't worry I'll make one next year) this song would be the climax piece and I'd even include a bonus music video on the CD! I love this video I love this song.

I feel awful that I was intending to do horrible things to Mr. Bob Dylan tonight. I guess the Christmas Spirit just got into my heart. Merry Christmas ya'll.

 P.S. Bob Dylan is Jewish guys. Where are the Chanukah songs on this album?

P. P. S. How wonderful are the hats that he wears in this video?

No comments:

Post a Comment